Tuesday, December 25, 2001

back from Tahoe

Merry Christmas!

So my parents and I just came back from our three-day trip to Tahoe. The fun part was that we went skiing at Soda Springs. I had to brush up on my skills again as I hadn't skied in three years, but I don't think I did too badly on the slopes. :-)

Day 1

Lake Tahoe is about 230 miles from our house, but it doesn't seem that far away when you've been there more than a few times. The sun sets early at this time of the year, so it was pretty dark when we got to our hotel. There weren't too many things to do in the evening, so we kind of called it a day after dinner.

Day 2

The highlight of the day was when we stopped at Donner Lake in the afternoon. One thing that makes the lake so special is the thin layer of ice that forms on its surface when conditions are right. You'll probably laugh at me for this, but one thing I love to do is to break the ice by walking on the frozen parts of the lake near the shore. It's like popping bubble wrap in a way. There wasn't a lot of ice this time, but I still enjoyed the beautiful views.

I spent the rest of the day playing Dragonheart: Fire & Steel at the hotel. Mom thought I was silly for bringing my laptop on such a short trip, but I think it's a great time killer - especially when the cold weather makes it hard to spend much time outside.

Day 3

Traveling on Christmas can be rather dull at times as most businesses tend to be closed. The ski resorts were still open, so we took the opportunity to go skiing at Soda Springs. Boreal is where we usually go, but we decided to try something different this year. From this experience, I'd say Soda Springs is much more fun.

The three of stopped at a Chinese restaurant for dinner on the way home. I ordered some fried rice, something I always must have whenever we go out for Chinese food. However, the waiter misheard our order and brought us beef chow fun instead. We didn't feel like letting the poor guy get yelled at on Christmas, so we let it go.

Conclusions

On the whole, this vacation was very exciting. Skiing is one of my favorite sports, so it's too bad it almost never snows here in the Silicon Valley. On the other hand, Dad is planning another trip for the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day weekend. Only three weeks to go!

In other news...

I'll be having my wisdom teeth removed on Thursday. I'm a little nervous about it, but my parents say everything will be fine. *crosses fingers*

Currently listening to: "Whenever, Wherever" by Shakira

No comments:

Post a Comment