Wednesday, May 29, 2002

a very close call in RuneScape

For those who haven't seen the RuneScape front page, Jagex just did a major crackdown on cheaters. They reset the stats and inventories of almost 2,000 accounts that were caught using RuneBot within the last 24 hours. RuneBot is a modified RuneScape client that can automate simple tasks.

I'll have to admit that I was curious enough to try the bot on my alternate account a few days ago. I was also tempted to use it on my main account before deciding it wasn't worth the risk of getting banned. The fact that users were complaining about lag only affirmed my decision.

Although I didn't touch RuneBot again since then, there was no guarantee that Jagex wouldn't find a way to detect its use beyond the original time frame. I actually checked the list of wiped players several times between classes to make sure my name wasn't on there. It was a nerve-wracking experience, but luckily nothing happened to me. That was a close call.

However, I do feel bad for those who were wiped. It must really suck to lose everything - especially if you never actually cheated. Case in point, one of the top players was wiped because he accidentally logged in with the bot on his main character. Despite his excellent reputation, Jagex has said they are making no exceptions.

I'm really glad I didn't continue to use RuneBot after all. It was definitely divine intervention.

Currently playing: RuneScape

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.
    osrs nmz

    ReplyDelete