Monday, February 17, 2003

a short trip to Yosemite + rest of winter break

Happy Presidents Day!

I was still kind of bummed out that my family didn't get to go anywhere during Christmas break last year, so Dad decided to take us to Yosemite National Park yesterday. This was quite nice, considering that we hadn't been there in ages. Our vacation was only two days long because my father has to leave for another business trip tonight, but it was still lots of fun.

Day 1

Our first stop was Mom's friend Tiffany's house in Fresno. Tiffany and her daughter often come to our house for Buddhist workshops, so my mother wanted to stop by for a visit. There wasn't much to do at their house, so I just played Duke Nukem II on my laptop while the adults chatted.

Later in the afternoon, my parents and I arrived at our hotel in Oakhurst, a small town about an hour south of Yosemite. Staying in the park would have been more convenient, but we didn't pick this option because it would also have been much more expensive. That said, Oakhurst was quite beautiful as well.

Day 2

The air in Yosemite was very fresh, and we really enjoyed the morning hikes. It was also fun to visit Yosemite Village and check out the stores there.

However, the three of us had to leave fairly early as we didn't want Dad to miss his flight to Japan. I would have loved to take a detour to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, but there just wasn't enough time. We actually couldn't even stop at the few state parks we passed on our way home. But I guess I shouldn't complain as we at least got to go somewhere. :-)

Despite being so brief, the trip wasn't without mishaps: Mom and I were helping Dad (who was in the shower) pack up when we were suddenly overwhelmed by this awful stench. It seems someone in a nearby cabin had just taken a really nasty dump. Neither of us knew where the smell came from, and we sure as hell didn't want to find out. The two of us nonetheless had a good laugh about it on our way home. Fun times.

February 24 update: Winter break has ended for me, and I'm now back in school. The rest of the break was fairly uneventful, so I couldn't be bothered to make another post about it.

Currently playing: Duke Nukem II

Historical note: Pictures from the trip are available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment