Tuesday, April 29, 2003

I got hacked in RuneScape :-(

The thrill of getting level 99 cooking in RuneScape was unfortunately short-lived as my account got hacked.

I logged in after school today when I noticed my character was in a different place than where I logged off last night. The next thing I knew was most of my valuables were missing. I lost a total of 33 Halloween masks, 52 Santa hats, all of my cash, runes and arrows, my full rune set and a bunch of other stuff. I know it's only a game, but I'm still kind of pissed off about it.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how I got hacked. An online virus scan did pick up a Trojan on my computer, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was what got my password. I don't know how the virus got there in the first place as I always scan downloaded files. But from I've heard, some malicious websites can infect the user's computer as soon as the victim visits it, and that might be what happened here. On the other hand, it was probably partly my fault as I had a simple password.

I also have no idea why someone decided to hack me. I'm somewhat well-known in the community due to being the 36th person to reach 99 cooking, and I'm also one of the first 2,000 players to sign up. Either of those things could have made me a target.

Oh well, better start earning my stuff again...

Update: A bit of good news: my friend Sandman2002 gave me a green mask to help me get started again. There are no words to express my gratitude. Thanks, dude!

Currently listening to: "Sandstorm" by Darude

No comments:

Post a Comment