Saturday, December 13, 2003

my first choral performance!

I just got back from my first choral performance. The concert took place at the Los Altos United Methodist Church. The event was part of the Chorale curriculum, but it involved the entire LAHS choral department. It was overall a very enjoyable experience.

The LAHS choral department consists of five choirs: Chorale, Varsity Men's Glee, Girls 21, Concert Choir and the Main Street Singers. There's also Choral Union, which is all the choirs combined. Each of the choirs sang various Christmas songs, after which Choral Union assembled for Joseph Haydn's Missa brevis Sancti Joannis de Deo.

Chorale is the least advanced choir, so we didn't have to spend too much time on stage before joining with the other choirs for Haydn's mass. I was very nervous at first, but it wasn't long before I started feeling comfortable. But then again, it's not like I had to sing solo or anything. Haha.

Because my aunts Wei-Jen and Wei-Fang are visiting from Taiwan, my mother invited them to the concert as well. It made me very proud that they would come. Dad couldn't attend as he's currently on another business trip, but I'm sure he was there in spirit. I would certainly have asked Mom to record the concert for him, except neither of us remembered where we put our old mini camcorder.

The tickets for the concert were $7 per person, and all of the proceeds go to the LAHS choral department. The downside is that we singers don't get a cut of the profits. But the money isn't such a big deal; everyone had a great time performing, and that's pretty rewarding in itself. :-)

Currently listening to singing: "Rise Up, Shepherd and Follow"

No comments:

Post a Comment