Tuesday, March 2, 2004

on being a poll worker

I spent the whole day at the polls for the California primary elections. This was part of a Civics assignment in which we had to participate in two community activities and share our experiences. One option was to work at the polls. I thought it sounded interesting and decided to sign up.

While I haven't registered to vote, that apparently doesn't preclude working at a polling station. Yesterday was the training session, during which we went over the policies and procedures. The class lasted about three hours.

The elections began today at 7 a.m. I had to get up an hour earlier to help set things up. The work was harder than I expected. Because the polls are legally required to stay open until the last person has voted, I couldn't leave until 9 p.m. and was completely exhausted. The other team members had to yell at me a few times to keep me awake!

Long hours aside, everything went extremely well. I'm sure Ms. Contreras will be proud of me. :-)

Currently playing: Hacx

No comments:

Post a Comment